Wednesday 24 April 2013

JFK: All that glitters might not be Gold


Located in one of the largest and busiest cities across the world, the John F. Kennedy International Airport happens to be the busiest of New York’s three airports, with millions heading to or arriving from domestic and international destinations every year. The airport is believed to have handled over 49 million passengers in 2012, making it the seventeenth busiest airport in the world while sixth busiest in the United States in terms of passenger traffic.

Terminal 4 at JFK International Airport is one of the most modern, efficient, spacious and unique terminals in the New York area serving nearly 30 international and domestic airlines carrying 12 million passengers.  In the last few years it has made extensive improvements to terminals, roadways and inter-terminal transportation. Also, travelers get access to a comprehensive selection of dining, banking, shopping and business facilities and services at New York JFK's terminals and all are linked by the AirTrain JFK service.

Hence, being one of the biggest airports across the world, it is expected to have everything running smoothly and efficiently. And since I’ve visited the city many a times before for work and leisure, I have always enjoyed my stay. Alas! This was not the case during my recent visit. Just having returned from a trip to New York, I was appalled by the experience at the JFK airport. For once, I had almost missed my flight. From unbelievably long lines at immigration to a not-so-helpful ground staff, everything seemed to be in a disheveled state.

The moment I checked in, the first thing that got my attention was the long queue at the immigration. But looking at it from the experiences I’d had in the past, I expected things to wrap up quickly. Once I got in, it took over good 2 hours to get through the immigration itself. Although, my extensive work travel has made me particular about reaching the airport before time, this time even my punctuality had gone for a toss. First-time travelers seemed to be running from counter to counter in hope of some help with their delayed immigration process and handing-over of boarding passes. Finding two young students running helter-skelter, I extended some help informing them about the right counters to seek their documents from.

Once I was on my flight back to India, the recklessness of the airport authorities had got me thinking. I believe that if the ground authorities know the approximate amount of traffic that is expected to check-in on a daily basis, they must open more counters. I think it’s the overall atmosphere that needs more improvement.

But nevertheless, this cannot stop one from relishing and dining at one of 17,000-plus restaurants, strolling around 843-acre Central Park or shopping on fashionable Fifth Avenue. New York City definitely has something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment